20 mph Zones
20mph speed limits aim to improve the safety and quality of life for local people by promoting more considerate driving. We hope this will encourage more of us to make greater use of our streets for walking, cycling, playing or just socialising. With less traffic and more people around, the places we live in should, in time, become safer, friendlier, quieter and cleaner places to be.
Following simplified guidance from the Department for Transport, we are able to introduce 20mph zones (where traffic is already travelling near this speed).
How you know you're in a 20mph zone
20 mph zones require traffic calming measures (e.g. speed humps, chicanes) or repeater speed limit signing and/or roundel road markings at regular intervals, so that no point within a zone is more than 50 m from such a feature. In addition, the beginning and end of a zone is indicated by a terminal sign. Zones usually cover a number of roads.
The benefits of 20mph speed zones
20mph speed limits improve the safety and quality of life for local people, by promoting more considerate driving. We hope this will encourage more of us to use our streets for walking, cycling, playing or just socialising.
With fewer cars and more people out and about, the places we live in should be safer, friendlier, quieter and cleaner places.
Local Authority 20 mph Zones
Bournemouth Christchurch & Poole Council 20mph Zones
List below shows the areas covered by a 20mph limit or zone and the year that they came in effect.
- Beaminster – Various roads – 20mph limit – 2000
- Broadwindsor – Various roads – 20mph limit – 2015
- Blandford – 20mph zone – Town Centre – 2003
- Blandford –Milldown Road/Jubilee Way – 20mph zone – 2003
- Blandford St Mary – Various roads – 20mph limit – 2006
- Bridport – Skilling Hill Rd, Alexandra Rd/Court and Watton Park – 20mph limit – 2005
- Bridport – St Andrew’s Rd/Coneygar Rd – 20mph zone – 2004
- Bridport – Victoria Grove – 20mph limit – 2008
- Melbury Abbas – 20mph limit – 2006
- Child Okeford – Various roads – 2006
- Charminster – Various roads – 20mph zone – 2020
- Dorchester – Coburg Road – 20mph limit – 2006
- Dorchester – Fordington – 20mph zone – 2002
- Dorchester – Victoria Road/ St Helens Road / Albert Road – 20mph zone – 2019
- Durweston – 20mph limit – to be installed 2020
- Ferndown – Cherry Grove – 20mph limit – 2006
- Hampreston – 20mph limit – 2006
- Iwerne Minster – 20mph zone - 2018
- Gillingham - Town Centre – 20mph limit – 1995
- Shaftesbury – High Street / Salisbury Street – 20mph limit - 2016
- Sherborne - Various roads – 20mph zone – 2002
- Sixpenny Handley – 20mph limit – 2005
- Witchampton – 20mph zone – 2004
- Wimborne - Chapel Lane/East Borough – 20mph limit – 2004
- Wimborne - Town Centre – 20mph limit – 2005
- Weymouth and Portland - Southdown Rd/Hillcrest Rd area – 20mph limit – 2001
- Weymouth and Portland - Faircross Ave/Everest Rd area – 20mph limit – 2001
- Weymouth and Portland - Goldcroft Rd area – 20mph zone – 2004 (2009 for Longcroft Lane)
- Weymouth and Portland – Nottington Lane – 20mph zone - 2004
- Weymouth and Portland – Park District – 20mph zone
- Weymouth and Portland – Westham – 20mph zone –2019 (old sections 2005)